We had so much fun at the Under the Sea Party!!
I cannot wait to share every detail, but in the mean time, here is the tutorial for the Mermaid Tails the girls wore.
What a Hit they Were!!
Sewing machine or Fabric Glue (if you do not have access to a machine)
1/4 Yard of Solid Broadcloth (I used purple)
1/2 - 3/4 Yard of Glittery, Scaley, Sequency Fabric
(I made up a few words there...)
1/4 Yard Tulle (I used a shade of turquoise)
Steps to Making Mermaid Tails
- Fold main fabric lengthwise, cut edge to cut edge, right sides together. You will have the Selvages together on top and bottom.
- Place pattern (I just free-handed the pattern) with the folded edge on the fabric fold.
- Pin and Cut around pattern. Set aside.
4. Cut the solid fabric, lengthwise, 5 1/2" x 44" Long. This will be the sash/tie.
5. Fold in half lengthwise and press.
6. Open and press each side to the middle crease. This is similar to bias tape.
7. Press closed really well.
8. Now get your tail fabric in place inside the casing you just made. Center the tail fabric and pin.
9. Stitch end to end.
10. Turn in the ends and stitch closed to make the ends finished.
11. Grab your tulle and fold lengthwise and then fold lengthwise again.
12. Bunch up and place on the tail where you would like it to be stitched.
13. Hold the tulle, or pin but I was too lazy to pin, and place under your presser foot.
14. Stitch forward and back a few times to lock into place.
15. Now you are complete and you have a fabulous Mermaid Tail your Sweetie will LOVE to run around in!!
Feel Free to ask me any questions!!